Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sekundenstil

In my German class, we studied Sekundenstil, a form of Naturalism used in German poetry. The idea is that  the poem is not planned-- it is written exactly as it comes to you. Like William Carlos Williams' poem "The Great Figure," Sekundenstil requires the poet to build an image step by step in an intuitive way. The difficulty, is writing something beautiful while abandoning control. The following is my attempt in German (Translation below).



In dem Zug verschwindet alles
in Dunkelheit
ich sehe orangene Wände
Oranienburg
ganz nah
ja okay—ich schliesse meine Augen
“kann ich durch bitte?”
ein kleines Kind
“naturlich”
 ich lächele
was für ein Kind!
In dem Zug fühle ich,
als ob ich ein schönes Geheimnis habe
Die Berliner sehen mich
und sie wissen nicht
dass ich Amerikanerin bin.
sie wissen nicht
dass ich ihren Zeitungen lese
sie wissen nicht
dass ich mich freue
jedes Mal
Wenn mich sie fragen 
ob der Zug nach
Friedrichstrasse fährt

 **************************
On the train everything disappears
in darkness
I see orange walls
Oranienburg
very close
yes, okay-- I close my eyes
"can I go through please?"
a small child
"of course"
I smile
What a kid!
On the train I feel
as if I have a beautiful secret
Berliners see me
and they don't know
that I'm American
they don't know
that I read their newspapers
they don't know
I'm pleased
every time
they ask me
if the train goes to
Friedrichstrasse





No comments:

Post a Comment